There are probably over 60 species of greenhood orchids (Pterostylis spp - pterostylis = winged column) in Victoria, and they are nearly all a shade of green. However there are Rustyhoods and Maroonhoods, and maybe some others, that are members of the genus that are not green at all, or at least not all green.
Recently, I wanted to check the progress of the Cobra Greenhood colonies at The Gurdies NCR at Grantville (there are still plenty of flowers) and came across a single Maroonhood, Pterostylis pedunculata (pedunculata = small stalk).
Although described as common and widespread, often in large colonies, it has been some time since I’ve seen a Maroonhood - I’m not out and about as often these days.
The Maroonhood has a reddish-brown tip to the hood (galea). It grows to about 20cm tall in good conditions – generally damp and shady woodlands. There is a small rosette of leaves on the ground at the base of the flowering plant.
Maroonhoods are terrestrial orchids like all the other greenhoods but one day in Bunyip State Park I found one growing in the low fork of a tree. Apparently some are known to grow on the trunks of Tree Ferns.
No comments:
Post a Comment